Monday, February 23, 2009

Ouch

This day has been a no good, dirty rotten day! First of all, I was sick all weekend and just wasn't feeling all that chipper this morning. School was crazy (midterms of course) and by the time I got into work I thought I'd just about had it...

1:40 PM Enter Gilbert & Stewart
2:01 Text from Cindy "We think Landon may have a broken leg. we are at Dr. Mortensens now."
2:30 (or somewhere in there) Grandma, Erika and Jen walk into the office. Jen carrying landon. He has the most adorable blue cast on his little foot.
As you can see.... not the happiest camper. But holy cow he is such a tough little kid.


Well, my night went from Bad (Landon breaking his leg) to WORSE... Much Worse

I coach tumbling right? Well Allison, one of my most hard working, dedicated girls, finally ROCKED her aerials tonight... I mean seriously... it was amazing! She had it! She tended to let her right arm hang just to be safe.

Well, on her last tumbling pass she went and threw her aerial. Something happened in the aerial and I am not sure if she didn't thin she was high enough or what. As a coach we train girls to not ever reach for the ground. Never ever ever. Unfortunatly Allison has never needed that lecture because she has never tried reaching for the ground before. Well this time, something happened mid-air and she reached for the ground, with her arm straight.

This picture is obviously not cute little Allison's Arm- but it shows what the break looked like.

Needless to say- it was broken. Both bones in her for arm had broken. I ran over and hurried and sat down next to her, trying to hold the arm still, and comfort her. It was a long 10 minutes until we finally had her out in her car (thank heavens her dad is an MD!) and another five of telling her to keep being tough, and they were on their way to the hospital.

I am so sad for little Allison and for the pain she is going through. I have not been feeling well at all lately, and when things like Allison's arm and Landon's leg come about, it makes me really put things into perspective. Throwing up isn't all that bad compared to a broken leg, and major back pain is nothing compared to breaking 2 bones! Poor Kids.

0 comments: